10 Dec 2018
Legal & General’s business priorities aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals
Legal & General has a responsibility to help achieve the aims of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (‘SDG’), with a commitment to help end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
In a video recently launched by Reuters, Legal & General talks SDGs and their alignment to the strategic priorities of the business.
Focusing on three of the UN’s 17 global goals:
- Affordable and clean energy
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Climate action
This video is part of a bid to change the attitudes of our industry; encouraging investments which are both economically and socially useful, as well as delivering healthy returns.
John Bromley, Head of Clean Energy Strategy, Legal & General Capital, said: “We believe that every penny we invest must count in creating a clean energy system that is affordable, accessible and meets the needs of our current generation and for future generations to come.”
Rachel Dickie, Head of Urban Regeneration, Legal & General Capital, said: “It's part of our mission and purpose to make investments that have a positive social and economic impact.”
Meryam Omi, Head of Sustainability and Responsible Investment, Legal & General Investment Management: “Climate change is an important issue for everyone and we have a small window of opportunity to reverse this trend and to build a low-carbon future.”
You can be a capitalist and still feel good about it. Environmental, social and governance interventions by investors are here to stay. Diversity, solar and wind power are happening, as is the decarbonisation and reduction in plastic consumption. Inclusive Capitalism works as a way to finance economic growth.
Nigel Wilson, Legal & General CEO
For further information
Group Head of CSR
Legal & General Capital and LGIM Real Assets
Legal & General Group
Established in 1836, Legal & General is one of the UK’s leading financial services groups and a major global investor, with a number of growing businesses in the US. Over twelve million people worldwide rely on us to help them save for the future and to protect their families and their homes. We operate in three principal areas:
- Investing & Annuities, where we manage £58bn of retirement annuities for policyholders and invest for their long term return within Legal & General Retirement (LGR and LGRI), as well as investing our own balance sheet within Legal & General Capital (LGC);
- Investment Management, where we have £983bn in total assets under management from clients in the UK, US, Asia and EMEA and a leading UK workplace savings and retail investments business within LGIM;
- and Insurance, where we provide protection against life events for more than 4 million customers, with £2.9bn of gross written premiums principally in life insurance in the UK and US within Legal & General insurance and household insurance in the UK within our General insurance division.