Legal & General helps fund Cancer Research UK early diagnosis project
Legal & General has pledged to help tackle early diagnosis by funding a Cancer Research UK facilitator for a year, with a donation of £47,000 towards the charity’s GP facilitator programme.
In the 1970s, three in four people diagnosed with cancer would lose their life to the disease. Today, two in four people survive their cancer for at least ten years. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that by 2034, three in four people will survive their cancer for at least ten years.
There has been great progress in improving survival, however many people are dying as a result of their cancer not being diagnosed early enough.
Early diagnosis makes a huge difference to survival. More than nine in ten bowel cancer patients will survive the disease for more than ten years if diagnosed at the earliest stage, whereas for those diagnosed very late fewer than one in ten will survive.
With a full time GP having around 6,000 appointments every year, and only ten minutes to see each patient, they have a challenge on their hands to pick out warning signs that could be cancer.
The Cancer Research UK facilitator programme supports GPs and primary care practitioners to spot cancer earlier.
Each GP facilitator covers up to 200 GP surgeries and provides locally-tailored, practical support that is changing the way health professionals and organisations prevent and diagnose cancer.
GP facilitators provide:
- Training for GPs based on the latest best practice guidance
- Training for wider practice staff, such as nurses and receptionists, on spotting the signs and symptoms of cancer
- Literature on cancer signs and symptoms, cancer prevention and information tailored to the local area
- Up to date information on how individual practices are doing in relation to others across the UK
Maggie Kemmner, head of the facilitator program at Cancer Research UK said: “For us to get to three in four people surviving cancer by 2034, we must improve early diagnosis and our facilitators are helping to do just that. The Cancer Research UK facilitators are catalysts for change and, by funding a facilitator, Legal & General are supporting the fight against cancer.”
Sara Heald (photo, right), head of community investment at Legal & General, said: “Health is a big part of our business and our aim is to help our customers at a time when they need us the most. We are proud to be able to support this service that will enable more people to obtain an early diagnosis which will help them receive the treatment they need more quickly”.
In addition, Legal & General staff will be undertaking fundraising and awareness raising activities in October for Stand Up To Cancer, the joint national fundraising campaign from Channel 4 and Cancer Research UK.
For further information about Cancer Research UK’s facilitator programme, visit www.cruk.org/facilitators
For more information please contact:
PR Manager, Legal & General Group
t: +44 (0) 20 3124 2092
m: +44 (0) 7764 582574
Notes to editors:
The information contained in this press release is intended solely for journalists and should not be relied upon by private customers or any other persons to make financial decisions.
About Cancer Research UK:
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last forty years.
- Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that by 2034, 3 in 4 people will survive their cancer for at least 10 years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
For press information about Cancer Research UK, please contact Kim Ireland on email@example.com / Tel: 020 3469 8586
About Legal & General:
The Legal & General Group, established in 1836, is one of the UK’s leading financial services companies. As at 30 June 2016, the total value of assets across the group was £841.5 billion, including derivative assets. We also had over nine million customers in the UK for our life assurance, pensions, investments and general insurance plans.
The following sentence can be used In addition if you consider it appropriate to the communication you’re preparing:
Legal & General is one of the biggest providers of index-tracking investments in the UK, managing £300.4 billion as at 30 June 2016.