Creating new investments for a future economy
As an investor, we use our knowledge and influence to ensure that companies integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into their everyday thinking,to develop resilient strategies, think longer-term and consider all of their stakeholders.
We also encourage organisations, peers and regulators to create an environment in which good management of ESG factors is valued and supported. This helps to protect and enhance long-term prospects for our clients.
In the five years from 2017 we set ourselves targets to:
- Continue our strategy of investing at least £15 billion into sectors of production and consumption that are economically, socially and environmentally useful.
- Develop investment solutions that are clearly aligned to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Develop and enhance long-term investment offerings which integrate ESG themes.
- Invest over £10 billion into small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs), supporting job creation and economic growth.
- Expand our divestment strategy from shareholder funds to then invest in new economy assets.
- Support at least one development of a new economy asset class to create economic and social value into our communities through mechanisms such as Social Stock Exchanges, Incubators and Community Share Schemes.
Invest in major regeneration schemes in at least ten UK cities by 2021.