Not A Red Card forum and awards 2019
2 Oct 2019
Since 1999, mental ill health has been the biggest reason that our customers claim through our Group Income Protection policy. To support these customers further, the Not A Red Card campaign helps us to raise awareness, remove stigma and take real action around mental health in the workplace, through providing employers with the support they need to protect their most valuable asset, their people.
At the first Not A Red Card forum in 2017, we focused on awareness of mental health in the workplace and encouraged businesses to open up conversations around this topic. In 2018, we moved the focus from talking to taking action to help organisations to take steps to make a real impact for their teams. The aim of the 2019 Not A Red Card campaign is to provide managers with the skills and tools they need to support their team’s mental health to help their employees thrive.
The Not A Red Card Forum and Awards 2019 took place on Tuesday 1 October. Over 200 business leaders, employers and mental health advocates registered for the event and joined us at the Oval Cricket Ground, London for a day of inspirational stories, expert discussions and insightful roundtable workshops, exploring best practice when it comes to mental health provision in the workplace.
Keynote speakers included:
- Dame Kelly Holmes
- Poppy Jaman, CEO, City Mental Health Alliance
- Nigel Wilson, CEO, Legal & General
- Steve Griffiths, Managing Director, UK Protection, Legal & General
- Vanessa Sallows, Claims & Governance, Director, Legal & General
- Steve Carr, founder of Mind Canyon
- Suzy McCormick, Joint Head of Diversity, Inclusion & Wellbeing, Department for Transport
- Geoff McDonald, Keynote Speaker, Business Transformation Advisor & Mental Health Campaigner.
- Clarke Carlisle, former professional footballer
In addition to the programme of speakers, a wellbeing village was created to encourage attendees to find out more about the work that Legal & General do in the Group Protection space and to showcase the expert partners that we work including CBT Clinics, Health Assured and Salary Finance.
Following the forum, the prestigious Not A Red Card Awards ceremony was held to celebrate mental health excellence in the workplace. The awards recognise individuals and businesses that have developed and implemented best practices and are really championing mental wellbeing at work.
Here are our 2019 winners:
- The Collaboration Award winner - Alliance of Sport in Criminal Justice
- Best Mental Health Initiative (SME) winner - Affinity for Business
- Best Mental Health Initiative (large company) winner – Arcadis LLP
- Innovative Use of Sport Award winner – School of Hard Knocks
- The Inspiration Award winner – Dan Keeley, #AREWEOKUK
- The Leadership Award winner - Helen Gillet, MD of Affinity for Business
- Judges Award for Impactful Conversations – E.G Lewis Group
- Judges Award for Societal impact - Barclays
The Not A Red Card campaign demonstrates that Legal & General are not only advocates of taking action around mental health in the workplace but we are leaders in helping employers to protect their team’s mental health. The campaign highlights the importance of having a group income protection scheme in place and also provides employers with access a range of valuable insights to resources to enhance wellbeing in the workplace and to help their employees thrive.