24 Sep 2018
Legal & General is proud to support The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award USA
Legal & General has supported The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award for a number of years. For the past seven decades the programme has inspired and transformed the lives of millions of young people from all walks of life all over the world.
His Royal Highness The Earl of Wessex, has hosted Chicago events in support of leading global youth achievement award. The visit saw The Earl meeting young people who participate in the Award in Chicago and some of the adult volunteers and supporters who make it all possible.
The trip included visits to PAWS Animal Shelter and West Town Bikes, where young Award USA participants from Union League Boys and Girls Club and British International School Chicago South Loop provide voluntary service.
The vision of The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award USA is to inspire and empower young Americans, from all backgrounds and communities, to challenge themselves and exceed expectations. Their ambition is to reach one percent of the youth population, or 470,000 young people, in the USA by the year 2027.
The Award is available for all young people aged 14 to 24, regardless of their background, culture, physical ability, skills and interests. It is a fully inclusive program and has no social, political, or religious affiliations.
“Legal & General is proud to support The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award USA and its mission to inspire young people to find their purpose, passion, and place in the world,” said Aaron Meder, CEO of Legal & General Investment Management America.
Following his own personal Award journey, The Earl has embarked on a series of Real Tennis (also known as Court Tennis in the United States) matches, as part of a program of activity to raise awareness and support for the Award in the United States and around the world. He developed a passion for the sport more than 30 years ago, when achieving his own Gold Award.
The Earl will attend dozens of engagements across nine cities, over 12 days. During the visit, he will also meet and celebrate the achievements of current Award participants and Award holders.
We are excited to help raise awareness of The Award in the U.S. as an internationally recognized program for young people to build the skills for their futures.
Aaron Meder, CEO of Legal & General Investment Management America
For further information
Kristina Pereira Tully, Caliber: firstname.lastname@example.org; (888) 550-6385, ext. # 5
Sean Smith, Director of Development, The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award USA: email@example.com; (773) 993 6666
About The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award USA
- The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award USA is the world’s leading youth achievement Award, available to all young people aged 14-24, regardless of their background, culture, physical ability, skills and interests
- It is delivered around the world by schools, colleges, universities, employers, social clubs, uniformed and non-uniformed youth organisations, young offenders’ institutions, religious organisations, sports clubs, and a whole host of other civic organisations
- Founded in 1956 by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, the Award enables young people to learn, develop and thrive through non-formal education, equipping them for life
- It challenges participants, pushing them to their personal limits and helping them to discover they are capable of so much more than they ever thought possible
- Since its launch over 60 years ago, millions of young people have participated and received Awards, with millions more benefiting from its impact in communities around the world
- More than 1.3 million young people have participated in the Award in the past year, across 130+ countries and territories
- Over 700 young people have had the opportunity to participate in The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award in the USA. Whilst it’s in its infancy, Award USA is growing due to rising interest in and demand for customized extra-curricular activities and activities that allow young people to discover their passions as well as to connect with their communities
Legal & General Investment Management America, Inc. (LGIMA) is a Chicago-based registered investment advisor specializing in designing and managing investment solutions across active fixed income, index strategies, multi-asset and liability driven investment (LDI) for the US institutional market. With over $175.5 billion in assets under management as of June 30, 2018, LGIMA is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Legal & General Investment Management (Holdings) Ltd. (LGIM(H)), which also owns its affiliates Legal & General Investment Management Ltd. and LGIM International Ltd. Legal & General’s worldwide assets under management are approximately $1.3 trillion as of December 31, 2017. In May 2014, LGIMA became a wholly owned subsidiary of Legal & General Investment Management US (Holdings), Inc. (LGIMUS(H)) which is wholly owned by LGIM(H).